Thursday, April 9, 2009

51

I haven't updated in so long because well, my life is so busy I'm like a zombie! I'm just burnt out from work and class that I end up not going to class and doing badly, which is really making me sad. Anyway...

On facebook there's this dumb thing where you can pick "The Top 5 Albums That Shaped You". Some of these are still my favorites, and some are not, but they very much shaped me. And well, I picked 10, and here they are in no particular order because I am perpetually indecisive.



Blood On the Tracks by Bob Dylan:
Not only did this record pretty much get me officially into Bob Dylan after my parents had pounded him into my brain my whole life, it also got me into vinyl records. I would listen to this record on repeat in my old house on a record player that was found on the side of the road, but with just a new needle was my new favorite thing. What can I say, anyone who knows me knows Bob Dylan has a large piece of my heart and that my record collection grows every time I go into a thrift store. Favorite Song: Buckets of Rain


The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan by Bob Dylan:
While my new found love for Bob Dylan was set somewhere in the mid-70s with Blood on the Tracks, my true love for him lies in the early 60s. It's pretty much impossible for me to pick my favorite out of Freewheelin', The Times They are A-changin' and Another Side of Bob Dylan, but I landed on this one because, well, IDK I love them all. Favorite Song (from each?): Ugh. Hm. Girl From the North Country, The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll, and To Ramona respectively.


Rumours by Fleetwood Mac
This along, with Blood on the Tracks was a record that was almost worn out on that old record player on Openaki. Also pounded into my brain since birth, Fleetwood Mac still remains one of my favorite bands, and will until I reach a middle-age where this love is acceptable. Stevie Nicks is one of my heroes for her outrageous style and raspy unconventional voice. I love everything about them. I've also made a quite recent favorite memory of this past Christmas Eve because of this band. Favorite Song: Psh, Dreams. Hands down.


Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd
My parents wedding song is on this album, which I try not to think about, but needless to say, Pink Floyd is another band that was shoved into my mouth by my parents. Thinking about this record also makes me think about the huge Pink Floyd poster my sister had hanging above her bed and how funny this must've been to my parents. A 10- and a 14-year-old listening to Pink Floyd, having no idea what it was all about. Anyhow, I was never really a big "Wall" fan because I guess this album just always had a place in my heart. Favorite Song: This is hard, it's a tie between Speak to Me and Great Gig in the Sky.


Synchronicity by The Police
The last of the bands that was pumped into me by my parents' tape deck. I specifically remember this record when I was a little Stephanie on the way down to LBI or North Carolina. All I need to say is, who doesn't remember listening to this when they were kids? And if the answer is "I don't!" then I don't want to meet your parents. I saw sting not too long ago and he was still the man. Favorite Song: Wrapped Around Your Finger


Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness by The Smashing Pumpkins
This album was the first album that I genuinely had a love for, via my older brother and sister. I was smack dab in the middle of the 90s and a room also owned by an angsty teenager, whose walls were covered with Jimi Hendrix and Silverchair posters. I thank her for a lot of the music I listened to when I was growing up because, well, I couldn't escape it. Needless to say, the Smashing Pumpkins are by far still one of my favorite bands, and this album is beautiful. Favorite Song: Aside from the obvious hits like Tonight, Tonight and 1979 on each respective cd, I have to say Muzzle and In the Arms of Sleep.


Dookie by Green Day
This was the first cd that I can remember that I liked because I liked it. Well after my Janet Jackson and Mariah Carey phase. I remember stealing this cd from my brother's room and listening to it before he got home. We used to have contests in 2nd grade to see who liked them better, and I don't remember if I won or not, but I really fucking loved them. Favorite Song: Burnout or When I Come Around


Dude Ranch by Blink 182
Truth be told, I liked Enema of the State first, but after getting over thinking Blink 182 was dumb, I quickly realized the error of my ways. Simple, three-member band that plays rock songs about making out with chicks and doing nothing? Perfect. I can still to this day play this record front to back and be psyched on life. Favorite Song: Impossible. Dammit? Apple Shampoo? Josie? Waggy? All so good.


OK Computer by Radiohead
Radiohead has been one of those bands that's been a constant for me ever since I started really listening to music. There's never been a time when I didn't like them, or a CD I hated. They were just the first band that I was like, wow, bands can
sounds like this and still be popular? Lead singers can look like guys I find attractive and not like Justin Timberlake? Every song has a feeling and a mood that's injected into you and you can't help but get sucked into it. Favorite Song: This is a hard one, too. Exit Music for a Film, Let Down, and No Surprises.


The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place by Explosions in the Sky
I have talked enough in this blog about how much this band changed my life, or how much emotion I have invested in each of their songs. When I saw them, I cried. And I'm a crier, but this was serious. If you wanted to mix the most beautiful picture ever painted, photo ever taken, words ever spoken, person ever born, flower ever grown, wind ever blown, into songs, these would be it. Favorite Song: First Breath After Coma.

3 comments:

Bill Marshall said...

such a good list..mine would look so similar

steesib said...

was your parents song us and them, was it was it? i want to know im right.

stefinitely said...

Yes it was. All 7 minutes.