Thursday, December 11, 2008

35

"Fatal Accident, Pedestrians Hit On Valley Road
Thursday, December 11, 2008

Montclair Police Chief David Sabagh has confirmed that two women were struck by a motorist around 7:30 p.m. last night. Both women were brought to St. Joseph's Hospital in Paterson. One woman has died as a result of her injuries; she was believed to be 80 years old. The second woman, whose injuries were less severe, is believed to be in her mid-forties. She remains at the hospital for observation, but may be released today. The names of both women have not been released, while the authorities are working to notify the families.

The accident is currently under investigation by the MPD and the Essex County Fatal Accident Investigation Unit."

I'm sorry this is so dark and dismal, it's just that... I think I could paint a picture of last night for the rest of my life. I find myself not listening to people today because all I can think about is that woman stomach down, not moving on the concrete, both women covered with blankets, an umbrella, shoes, and other belongings that showed some evidence of normal life 5 minutes prior, and the people surrounding them, softly saying "Just keep breathing...". I also can't help but feel terrible compassion for the kid who hit them, who was in a state of shock, then panic, then visible shaken emotion. The road is a dark stretch with no crosswalk and apparently it's right near a bus stop so people are crossing there all the time. All I could think about was how close it is to Christmas and what two families' Christmas's would be like without the two women lying the middle of the road; now I know one family will be missing someone.

I keep hearing my mom say, "See, it could be anyone."

2 comments:

nikole said...

i hate that we had to witness what we did. but honestly, having each other there made it a lot better than it would have been if we were alone.

stefinitely said...

Of course. I love you girls.