Wednesday, January 28, 2009

40

Edit: Not worth it. I just don't get why some people play with love like cats.

Two bands I am enjoying;

Fleet Foxes: I tell myself I don't want to like them for some reason, but I do. They're like a weird tribe sitting in the woods singing songs about ancestors past. I recommend "Mykonos". I think I also like them because the cover of their album looks like (is?) a Hieronymus Bosch painting. If you aren't familiar with him, look up his most famous work, The Garden of Earthly Delights. It's fascinating.

Azure Ray: A duo of girls and harmonizing vocals singing about love lost and love present in danger of breaking. I recommend anything on "Hold on Love", especially "These White Lights Will Bend to Make Blue".

"You said, "don't let love break you down", well just show me how and let me never be broken."

As you know, Billy and I got back from our trip in one piece, and what a beautiful trip it was. On the outermost layer of the experience it was a long car ride full of beef jerky, red bull, truck stops, motels, rain storms, and lightning, but peeling back the layers it was so much more. It was seeing things we'd never seen before but not telling each other what it all meant to us. Maybe we didn't know what it all meant to us, but when we're 89-years-old and we can barely remember anything else, we'll remember driving through almost fictional surroundings, too beautiful for thought, gasping for alertness at 3 in the morning, waiting to get to a motel, waiting to make a bed that has been millions of others', ours for one night, maybe two. Just being there was enough.

Here's some of my favorites:






















"Don't you hate that?"
"What?"
"Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullshit in order to be comfortable?"
"I don't know. That's a good question."
"That's when you know you've found somebody special, when you can just shut the fuck up for a minute and comfortably enjoy the silence."

No comments: